Libraries Promote Culture, Social Cohesion, Digital Empowerment : Open Letter to the Bulgarian EU Presidency11 January 2018
EBLIDA together with its partners IFLA and Public Libraries 2020 publish this joint Open letter to celebrate the 1st Presidency of the Council of the European Union by Bulgaria (1 January-30 June 2018) and the goals it shares with libraries.
In line with the Presidency priorities, the letter underlines the roles libraries play in:
- Building social cohesion,
- Realising the potential of digital,
- Promoting Culture for all.
Recognising the importance of the European Year of Cultural Heritage, celebrating the library’s role and mission of advancing knowledge for all in Europe, the letter also highlights the opportunities the European Union has to improve the situation for libraries:
- by ensuring our institutions are reflected in future budget planning,
- by passing modern copyright reforms,
- by helping libraries access funding for promoting WiFi connectivity, and
- by placing them at the heart of efforts to build a Europe of culture and education.
Download the letter here.
< back to overview