What is the goal of the campaign?
We have two main goals with this campaign:
1. Provide information and raise awareness
- Inform the public, policy makers and politicians about what is happening in today’s libraries;
- Raise awareness about obstacles faced by libraries;
- Engage librarians, politicians and the general public into the campaign.
2. Provoke changes and ensure legal certainty for libraries
a.) We want:
- Libraries to provide library users with the latest e-books as they do printed book!
- Libraries to buy e-books at fair prices and on reasonable terms!
- Authors to receive fair payment for the lending of e-books as they do for printed books by extending Public Lending Right to include the loan of e-books by public libraries!
- All citizens – not just those who can afford it – to benefit from free access to e-books in public libraries!
b.) Find short term solutions in drafting Fair licensing models and engage with publishers;
c.) Define a middle long-term copyright reform defining a clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe. of the International WIPO Copyright Treaty.
d.) We want to stimulate and accelerate the process of creating clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe.
EBLIDA Newsletter October 201910 October 2019: We are Committed to sustainable development and Libraries can play a significant role in advancing it. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter September 201912 September 2019: Why Sustainable Development Goals are important for libraries and libraries are important for the European 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. Read more >
AfLIA & EBLIDA - Memorandum of agreement27 August 2019: AfLIA (African Library and Information Associations and Institutions) and EBLIDA signed a Memorandum of Agreement on 26th of August 2019 at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, Greece. Read more >
Interview with Ambassador Stefano Stefanile12 July 2019: Ambassador Stefano Stefanile is currently Deputy Permanent Representative of Italy to the United Nations in New York. Among his previous positions, he had served at the Italian Mission to the UN from 2009 to 2013. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter July/August 201911 July 2019: This double issue of the newsletter includes Reports of Working Group Sessions an interview with Ambassador Stefano Stefanile, EBLIDA Strategic Plan Survey Results, Photos of the Conference and more Read more >