What is the goal of the campaign?
We have two main goals with this campaign:
1. Provide information and raise awareness
- Inform the public, policy makers and politicians about what is happening in today’s libraries;
- Raise awareness about obstacles faced by libraries;
- Engage librarians, politicians and the general public into the campaign.
2. Provoke changes and ensure legal certainty for libraries
a.) We want:
- Libraries to provide library users with the latest e-books as they do printed book!
- Libraries to buy e-books at fair prices and on reasonable terms!
- Authors to receive fair payment for the lending of e-books as they do for printed books by extending Public Lending Right to include the loan of e-books by public libraries!
- All citizens – not just those who can afford it – to benefit from free access to e-books in public libraries!
b.) Find short term solutions in drafting Fair licensing models and engage with publishers;
c.) Define a middle long-term copyright reform defining a clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe. of the International WIPO Copyright Treaty.
d.) We want to stimulate and accelerate the process of creating clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe.
A better copyright exception for Education16 January 2018: EBLIDA together with 34 organisations, signed an open letter requesting to improve the education exception in the proposal for a Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market (DSM Directive). Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter January 201811 January 2018: Pleased to present the first edition of the EBLIDA Newsletter of 2018. Read more >
Open Letter to the Bulgarian EU Presidency11 January 2018: EBLIDA together with its partners IFLA and Public Libraries 2020 publish this joint Open letter to celebrate the 1st Presidency of the Council of the European Union by Bulgaria (1 January-30 June 2018) and the goals it shares with libraries. Read more >
Happy Holiday Season14 December 2017: Happy Holiday Season Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter December14 December 2017: News from Brussels, Europe, EBLIDA and Worldwide. Lack of inspiration for a Christmas gift? Read more >