What is the goal of the campaign?
We have two main goals with this campaign:
1. Provide information and raise awareness
- Inform the public, policy makers and politicians about what is happening in today’s libraries;
- Raise awareness about obstacles faced by libraries;
- Engage librarians, politicians and the general public into the campaign.
2. Provoke changes and ensure legal certainty for libraries
a.) We want:
- Libraries to provide library users with the latest e-books as they do printed book!
- Libraries to buy e-books at fair prices and on reasonable terms!
- Authors to receive fair payment for the lending of e-books as they do for printed books by extending Public Lending Right to include the loan of e-books by public libraries!
- All citizens – not just those who can afford it – to benefit from free access to e-books in public libraries!
b.) Find short term solutions in drafting Fair licensing models and engage with publishers;
c.) Define a middle long-term copyright reform defining a clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe. of the International WIPO Copyright Treaty.
d.) We want to stimulate and accelerate the process of creating clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe.
EBLIDA Newsletter June 201913 June 2019: This issue is devoted to the presentation of the new Strategic Plan's Strand 2: Library legislation, and Strand 4: The Socio-educational Impact of Libraries. Read more >
Transposing the Digital Single Market Directive in your own country06 June 2019: EBLIDA member organisations now have a wonderful opportunity to influence how their countries will implement this Directive. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter May 201914 May 2019: After the Copyright Storm, we are coming back to business as usual. Check out EBLIDA's latest news, insights, and upcoming events in our May Newsletter. Read more >
Press Release on the Adoption of the European Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market17 April 2019: Following the European Parliament’s adoption of the Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market, the Council of Ministers of the European Union has now also voted in favour of the text. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter April 201911 April 2019: This issue is devoted exclusively to the European Union directive on copyright in the digital single market. Read more >