What is the goal of the campaign?
We have two main goals with this campaign:
1. Provide information and raise awareness
- Inform the public, policy makers and politicians about what is happening in today’s libraries;
- Raise awareness about obstacles faced by libraries;
- Engage librarians, politicians and the general public into the campaign.
2. Provoke changes and ensure legal certainty for libraries
a.) We want:
- Libraries to provide library users with the latest e-books as they do printed book!
- Libraries to buy e-books at fair prices and on reasonable terms!
- Authors to receive fair payment for the lending of e-books as they do for printed books by extending Public Lending Right to include the loan of e-books by public libraries!
- All citizens – not just those who can afford it – to benefit from free access to e-books in public libraries!
b.) Find short term solutions in drafting Fair licensing models and engage with publishers;
c.) Define a middle long-term copyright reform defining a clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe. of the International WIPO Copyright Treaty.
d.) We want to stimulate and accelerate the process of creating clear copyright law that enables the provision of e-books by libraries all over Europe.
DSM Directive transposition guidelines for libraries and library associations25 November 2019: The guidelines have been created jointly by EBLIDA, IFLA, LIBER and SPARC Europe, and cover 12 of the Articles in the Directive. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter November 201914 November 2019: Find out about the EBLIDA SDG European House and how EU SDGs are relevant for libraries! Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter October 201910 October 2019: We are Committed to sustainable development and Libraries can play a significant role in advancing it. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter September 201912 September 2019: Why Sustainable Development Goals are important for libraries and libraries are important for the European 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development. Read more >
AfLIA & EBLIDA - Memorandum of agreement27 August 2019: AfLIA (African Library and Information Associations and Institutions) and EBLIDA signed a Memorandum of Agreement on 26th of August 2019 at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Athens, Greece. Read more >