Take down the digital barriers - Aarhus Declaration
[ PDF version ]
Enable Libraries to provide Smart Access to Culture, Information and Knowledge!
We call upon the local, the regional and the national governments of Europe to:
- Empower libraries in providing the citizens of Europe unhindered access to reliable information and knowledge in a digital society;
- Enact copyright exceptions for libraries that reflect the needs of users in a digital world;
- Promote and support strong reading and critical thinking competencies through libraries in a time of fake-news and information overload;
- Rethink and update local and national library policies, strategies and legal frameworks;
- Recognise libraries as Europe’s knowledge, culture and learning institutions;
- Acknowledge libraries in promoting and reaching the Sustainable Development Goals.
Libraries in Europe play an important role in the shift from a mainly analogue world to a digital environment where the ways of accessing and sharing information and knowledge have changed dramatically. But for the next phase we have to tear down all the existing digital barriers.
We need a new legal framework and new business models for acquiring and disseminating culture, information and knowledge by libraries and a modern system of copyright exceptions that reflect the needs of users in a digital world.
In the context of its 25th anniversary, the European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations,EBLIDA calls on policy-makers within Europe to accelerate the transformation of public libraries into democratic institutions of the 21st century encouraging and enabling citizen engagement, providing the information and facilities for public debate and acting as local hubs of learning and creativity.
EBLIDA Council & Conference 3 & 4 May 2017, DOKK1 Aarhus, Denmark.
For further information contact: email@example.com
EBLIDA Newsletter February 202013 February 2020: Read about the most important Italian Library Conference, about EBLIDA's Europe-wide surveys and exploration of UN SDGs. Read more >
NewsGuard Forms Board of Advisors for its News Literacy Programs23 January 2020: NewsGuard has assembled a board of advisors for its News Literacy Program, which includes partnerships with nearly 700 public libraries around the globe. Read more >
EBLIDA January Newsletter - Special issue09 January 2020: The January 2020 issue of the EBLIDA Newsletter is special for two reasons. Want to know more? Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter December 201912 December 2019: With an important article devoted to copyright and continuing review of SDGs. Read more >
EBLIDA and NewsGuard10 December 2019: NewsGuard and EBLIDA are partnering to spread Media Literacy and fight disinformation in Europe's Public Libraries. Read more >