Take down the digital barriers - Aarhus Declaration
[ PDF version ]
Enable Libraries to provide Smart Access to Culture, Information and Knowledge!
We call upon the local, the regional and the national governments of Europe to:
- Empower libraries in providing the citizens of Europe unhindered access to reliable information and knowledge in a digital society;
- Enact copyright exceptions for libraries that reflect the needs of users in a digital world;
- Promote and support strong reading and critical thinking competencies through libraries in a time of fake-news and information overload;
- Rethink and update local and national library policies, strategies and legal frameworks;
- Recognise libraries as Europe’s knowledge, culture and learning institutions;
- Acknowledge libraries in promoting and reaching the Sustainable Development Goals.
Libraries in Europe play an important role in the shift from a mainly analogue world to a digital environment where the ways of accessing and sharing information and knowledge have changed dramatically. But for the next phase we have to tear down all the existing digital barriers.
We need a new legal framework and new business models for acquiring and disseminating culture, information and knowledge by libraries and a modern system of copyright exceptions that reflect the needs of users in a digital world.
In the context of its 25th anniversary, the European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations,EBLIDA calls on policy-makers within Europe to accelerate the transformation of public libraries into democratic institutions of the 21st century encouraging and enabling citizen engagement, providing the information and facilities for public debate and acting as local hubs of learning and creativity.
EBLIDA Council & Conference 3 & 4 May 2017, DOKK1 Aarhus, Denmark.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interview with Steen Bording Andersen23 June 2020: Interview with Steen Bording Andersen, EBLIDA Executive Committee Member. Read more >
Interview with Marina Encheva21 June 2020: Interview with Marina Encheva, EBLIDA Executive Committee Member. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter June 202008 June 2020: As in any post-crisis scenario, librarians must be ready to embark upon all possible plans. Find out what's next. New publications on SDGs , ESI Funds; planned #Webinars & more in the EBLIDA June Newsletter. Read more >
Press Release: SDGs and Libraries – First European Report02 June 2020: A fully-fledged concept apt to frame library work into the broader and far-reaching scope of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in European libraries. Read more >
EBLIDA Webinars20 May 2020: EBLIDA is hosting a series of webinars focused on Sustainable Development Goals and Libraries, more particularly, why and how should Libraries implement SDGs. Read more >