Take down the digital barriers - Aarhus Declaration
[ PDF version ]
Enable Libraries to provide Smart Access to Culture, Information and Knowledge!
We call upon the local, the regional and the national governments of Europe to:
- Empower libraries in providing the citizens of Europe unhindered access to reliable information and knowledge in a digital society;
- Enact copyright exceptions for libraries that reflect the needs of users in a digital world;
- Promote and support strong reading and critical thinking competencies through libraries in a time of fake-news and information overload;
- Rethink and update local and national library policies, strategies and legal frameworks;
- Recognise libraries as Europe’s knowledge, culture and learning institutions;
- Acknowledge libraries in promoting and reaching the Sustainable Development Goals.
Libraries in Europe play an important role in the shift from a mainly analogue world to a digital environment where the ways of accessing and sharing information and knowledge have changed dramatically. But for the next phase we have to tear down all the existing digital barriers.
We need a new legal framework and new business models for acquiring and disseminating culture, information and knowledge by libraries and a modern system of copyright exceptions that reflect the needs of users in a digital world.
In the context of its 25th anniversary, the European Bureau of Library, Information and Documentation Associations,EBLIDA calls on policy-makers within Europe to accelerate the transformation of public libraries into democratic institutions of the 21st century encouraging and enabling citizen engagement, providing the information and facilities for public debate and acting as local hubs of learning and creativity.
EBLIDA Council & Conference 3 & 4 May 2017, DOKK1 Aarhus, Denmark.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Press Release on the Adoption of the European Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market17 April 2019: Following the European Parliament’s adoption of the Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market, the Council of Ministers of the European Union has now also voted in favour of the text. Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter April 201911 April 2019: This issue is devoted exclusively to the European Union directive on copyright in the digital single market. Read more >
Final stretch for the Digital Single Market Directive, by Barbara Stratton29 March 2019: Long Read : Final stretch for the Digital Single Market Directive, by Barbara Stratton, Chair, EBLIDA Expert Group on Information Law. Read more >
EBLIDA has signed a Library Manifesto for Europe20 March 2019: We want a Europe that, Guarantees learning opportunities, Promotes access to culture and innovation and commits to Sustainable Development… Read more >
EBLIDA Newsletter March 201914 March 2019: News about the Programme of the EBLIDA NAPLE Annual Conference, EBLIDA Strategic Plan 2019-2022 and more... Read more >